Skip to main content

Opera Neon hits the Refresh button on browser behavior

Opera


When a geek gets a notification on his Google home screen from the Technology section about his long lost browser friend launching a refreshingly new version of itself, it calls for an immediate test run and a blog post.

As the video and the website suggested, the installation was pretty smooth and Neon instantly copied my current background image into the browser to instantly set it the browser background.

While most browsers have a small icon on the tabs to notify the tabs that output music, Neon has opted to have a separate tab to have all the pages that could possibly output video. I say that because while I had a website streaming audio on that tab, Facebook made an almost entry to the tab too.

Neon does not support importing your bookmarks and settings from Chrome yet, but it supports Firefox and you can always import Chrome settings into Firefox first and then pull them into Neon.

The floating icons for speed dial is just an intuitive way of showing the most used pages and good use of space to make the space look more attractive. Open tabs by default become small circular icons to the right of the browser and the transition between the tabs was thankfully instant. I am glad Neon did not opt for any transition effect there.

The snap feature is pretty neat; something very similar to the way one would take page snap on a Macbook. Both, the button to take a snap and the picture gallery are easily accessible.

I would say Opera Neon is a Chromebook done more intuitively. While naive, Opera Neon is widely impressive and it would be interesting to see where Opera drives this one. While the idea of having a desktop like environment in a browser isn't new, it is done exceptionally well by Opera but I believe they need to do a lot more to compete with the likes of Chrome and Firefox in terms of plugins and customizations.

I like listening to music when I work and for most times, I just keep a Radio playing either on Spotify or gaana.com. But Neon was surprisingly weird when it came to rendering music on Gaana, the sound output was really slow; try imagining playing a song where you tone down the tempo by half. I wonder what was at fault, but that was the first bug for me. I might report it to Opera some time later.

Overall, I would say Neon is a browser I would definitely use for a few days to get a good handle on things for it has a lot of new features on offer. But for someone who has everything set on his Chrome (and others on their Safari and Firefox), Opera sure has a long way and a tough battle to fight to sustain and conquer in this ever intensifying battle of browser supremacy.

The browser is available for Windows and Mac. 

You can install the browser from here: https://www.opera.com/computer/neon

Promo video for the browser



This is how the browser looks on my machine



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHAT Happens at 2 a.m.?

Its 2 in the night and here I am awake like an owl doing nothing; though for the matter I am writing this. If this doesn’t work, I plan to switch back to straining my eyes or another 40 minutes of Vampire Diaries. Its holidays, so I don’t have anything to study either (not that I study during terms; but what I wrote still makes a statement). I’ve noticed this for quite some time now; whatever time it maybe be you’ll always find dogs barking here and there especially if it is night time. Wonder if it is the awakening of the ‘Dog World’ when the ‘Humans’ go to sleep. I remember one night I was returning from a picnic late at night. It was 2 am and frankly I was scared; not of the thieves or goons but the dogs of my lane. They are known to be a menace. As I started walking into my lane, I couldn’t help myself but to locate the canines so that I could avoid them. They eased my efforts though as there they were lying around everywhere on the road with me then having to make my way t

Adventures of Lonavla - Part II

Links to Earlier Parts: Part I :  http://abhishek-nandgaonkar-blogs.blogspot.in/2012/08/journey-to-lonavla.html                                                               PART II     We entered the bus with our luggage; it was a 2x2 seater bus. We approached our seats and found out two of us were to sit together while the third had to sit on the adjacent row besides what seemed like a pretty face behind 'Life of Pi'.     We all started hurrying up to get that prized seat. Aditya was in the front and I was right behind him. I somehow managed to find a way towards the seat. I kept my hand on the seat and was about to sit when Aditya pushed me and sat himself.      I shouted, "Hey!", loud enough for the whole bus to listen. 'Life of Pi' went down and what emerged was actually a guy with long hair. Aditya's jaw fell while me and Daksh started laughing uncontrollably; everyone else gave us a disgusting look, quite understandably.    T