Skip to main content

REVOLUTION 2020 - My review


Revolution 2020 – MY REVIEW
               
               Another Chetan Bhagat Book around the corner, a buzz that had all the youth of India chatting and discussing. Chetan Bhagat, a successful writer, a columnist and an exceptional speaker came up with his new book ‘REVOLUTION 2020’ in November 2011. I was so excited when this book was released; I promptly ordered it on www.flipkart.com.

                I’ve been a fan of this guy ever since I read his first book, ‘FIVE POINT SOMEONE’. His books don’t have the complex words that most of the times define a good book but his stories have a heart; a heart through which he connects to a billion other hearts. I have personally hated reading novels. One fine day a friend of mine insisted that I read ‘TWO STATES’ and I fell in love with his writing. I enquired about other books of Chetan Bhagat and found out there were three others. It took me no time to read all the other books too.

                Too much anticipation, a bit too many expectations and I have to say, a bit too much pressure on Chetan Bhagat on the release of his new book. When you do one thing better than most others, people start looking at you with high expectations; and if you can’t sustain that, you fall.

                The book ‘Revolution 2020’ starts with Chetan Bhagat meeting the Director of some college ‘Gangatech’ in Varanasi. After an evening of drinking and bragging about himself, Gopal collapses and Chetan helps him get to the hospital. Chetan is about to leave when Gopal asks him, ‘Am I a good person?’ to which Chetan says that he’ll have to know him to answer that. And then begins the story of friendship, love, success, passion, corruption and a revolution.

                The book is a really nice attempt although it doesn’t match up to the heights that the author got to with his earlier books. Many say that the story has been written keeping in mind a movie to be made on it given that movies have been made based on his earlier books. The story isn’t that fresh, a typical love triangle and the hero sacrificing for other’s happiness eventually. But the way it catches you mind all through the time is amazing. It is like watching a movie for 12 hours.

                The book revolves mostly around the love story between Gopal and Aarti (Gopal’s love interest) which makes you wonder about the title being ‘Revolution 2020’. Gopal is a simple guy from a poor family, dead mother and a coughing farmer father. They have a lot of debt to pay off and the father has a lot of expectations from his son. He takes loans to fund Gopal’s costly classes so that he would clear engineering exams the second time after he fails once. But when he fails again, the father is shattered and eventually is portrayed dead. What begins next is his crave and madness to become rich and to reach a status that Gopal’s father always wanted him to reach.  But what he also wants to get in life is his love interest Aarti. The story revolves beautifully around the love story and Gopal’s walk to richness.

                Aarti, Gopal’s love interest is his childhood friend with whom Gopal falls in love with when they grow up. There is cuteness in the way these two kids are shown to meet. Aarti is the daughter of the DM of the city. Her ambition in life is to become an air hostess because she wants to travel many places around the world. She falls for Raghav (Gopal’s friend) when Gopal is away for studying. Aarti always wants friendship while Gopal keeps forcing her for a relationship all through the time. She loves Raghav but wants to stay best friends with Gopal while Gopal wants Aarti to stay happy, happy with him.

                Raghav (Gopal’s friend) has always been an intelligent student. His father always wanted him to get into engineering while he wants to become a journalist and make a change in his country to make it a better place to live in. He is a third friend with Gopal and Aarti but comes closer to Aarti when Gopal is away and eventually falls in love with Aarti. Aarti acknowledges. Once he completes his engineering, he joins journalism and eventually a newspaper called ‘Revolution 2020’ which prints stories about scams and injustice to people.

                Gopal follows the wrong path to get money and success while Raghav follows the right path towards the betterment of the society. Gopal has always been jealous of Raghav as he was always the successful guy. It is Aarti who makes the whole difference to the story.

                All in all a really good interesting read. I would say it is a 3/5 but worth a book to keep on your book shelf.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHAT Happens at 2 a.m.?

Its 2 in the night and here I am awake like an owl doing nothing; though for the matter I am writing this. If this doesn’t work, I plan to switch back to straining my eyes or another 40 minutes of Vampire Diaries. Its holidays, so I don’t have anything to study either (not that I study during terms; but what I wrote still makes a statement). I’ve noticed this for quite some time now; whatever time it maybe be you’ll always find dogs barking here and there especially if it is night time. Wonder if it is the awakening of the ‘Dog World’ when the ‘Humans’ go to sleep. I remember one night I was returning from a picnic late at night. It was 2 am and frankly I was scared; not of the thieves or goons but the dogs of my lane. They are known to be a menace. As I started walking into my lane, I couldn’t help myself but to locate the canines so that I could avoid them. They eased my efforts though as there they were lying around everywhere on the road with me then having to make my way t

Adventures of Lonavla - Part I

                                                                 PART I     This story dates to the month of June of 2012 while I was travelling to Lonavla with a couple of my friends. Interesting events, interesting company, interesting food made the whole journey a lot more interesting.     Me, Daksh and Aditya planned this trip some time back and we choose to set out for Lonavla on the 18th, a Monday. Usually people travel on weekends but we had a completely different theory; Everyone visits hill stations during weekends making everything from food and hotels and roaming around a bit more costlier than usual. Setting out with this philosophy the three of us with a few thousand rupees left out for this journey. None of us had a vehicle so we had to use the public transport to get there.     Daksh was a guy particular with cleanliness and addicted to giving his boring lectures to people who did not follow his 'Principles of Cleanliness' as he would call it. Given hi

Adventures of Lonavla - Part II

Links to Earlier Parts: Part I :  http://abhishek-nandgaonkar-blogs.blogspot.in/2012/08/journey-to-lonavla.html                                                               PART II     We entered the bus with our luggage; it was a 2x2 seater bus. We approached our seats and found out two of us were to sit together while the third had to sit on the adjacent row besides what seemed like a pretty face behind 'Life of Pi'.     We all started hurrying up to get that prized seat. Aditya was in the front and I was right behind him. I somehow managed to find a way towards the seat. I kept my hand on the seat and was about to sit when Aditya pushed me and sat himself.      I shouted, "Hey!", loud enough for the whole bus to listen. 'Life of Pi' went down and what emerged was actually a guy with long hair. Aditya's jaw fell while me and Daksh started laughing uncontrollably; everyone else gave us a disgusting look, quite understandably.    T