Skip to main content

People still use Windows XP..!!




I am pretty sure that my life is going to be in danger after a few of my friends read this post.

So I get a call from a friend. Lets call her Diana.

Diana: Hey, do you have Windows XP cd? Looks like I lost it.
Me: Why do you want a Windows XP! Decorating something?
Diana: Very funny! I need to format my desktop.
Me: Why XP?
Diana: I like XP.
Me: Seriously? I don't even remember using XP.
Diana: Then what should I install if not XP?
Me: Please don't tell me you haven't heard of Windows 7.
Diana: I have; I have it on my laptop. I needed to format my desktop; hence XP.
Me: Sorry for repeating my question; but Why XP? Your desktop can't bear 7?
Diana: No nothing like that. Its a dual core, 2 gb RAM. It is just that I like using XP. It has that old feel to it, like when I started using computers for the first time; it was XP. So I want to keep it as it is.
Me: And what about your family; your parents and your younger sister?
Diana: They'll deal with it.
Me: Bitch Please..!!

A friend (this time a guy) calls me over because his wireless router stops working. Lets call him Rajesh.
I ask him to start his PC as I needed to check the router settings which requires using the browser.
His PC boots up with the XP sound and that XP logo.

Me: What the hell is XP still doing on your PC? What happened to Windows 7 I got you installed last month?
Rajesh: Yes, but I just couldn't figure how to use it. I'm just so used to using Windows XP.
Me: And who installed XP for you?
Rajesh: Myself. I had seen you install it twice; I could repeat those steps.
Me: I don't understand. You can go through the pain of installing XP but you somehow can't use 7..!

I walk into a reputed Consultancy for my further studies. I am asked to fill a form and take a chair. From the place I sit; I can see their staff working on their desktops. And guess what all of them had XP installed in them.

My college had so many labs. At a time when the release of Windows 8 is just around the corner; I feel asking your students to use an operating system so old should be declared a crime if not anything else. Somehow we did manage to convince our faculty to install Windows 7 on some computers; but that came with a trial period of 30 days after which we had to deal with the "This copy of Windows is not genuine" message every time we had to use the computers.

What I don't understand is why to people take so long to embrace changes. If something is better; go for it. There is not point sticking to something just because you have a stupid emotional attachment to it.

Or sticking to something old because you can't take out some time learning something new; which is also something better. Most of the times it is because people are just plain used to something; however gross it may seem to nerds, oops geeks like me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHAT Happens at 2 a.m.?

Its 2 in the night and here I am awake like an owl doing nothing; though for the matter I am writing this. If this doesn’t work, I plan to switch back to straining my eyes or another 40 minutes of Vampire Diaries. Its holidays, so I don’t have anything to study either (not that I study during terms; but what I wrote still makes a statement). I’ve noticed this for quite some time now; whatever time it maybe be you’ll always find dogs barking here and there especially if it is night time. Wonder if it is the awakening of the ‘Dog World’ when the ‘Humans’ go to sleep. I remember one night I was returning from a picnic late at night. It was 2 am and frankly I was scared; not of the thieves or goons but the dogs of my lane. They are known to be a menace. As I started walking into my lane, I couldn’t help myself but to locate the canines so that I could avoid them. They eased my efforts though as there they were lying around everywhere on the road with me then having to make my way t

Adventures of Lonavla - Part II

Links to Earlier Parts: Part I :  http://abhishek-nandgaonkar-blogs.blogspot.in/2012/08/journey-to-lonavla.html                                                               PART II     We entered the bus with our luggage; it was a 2x2 seater bus. We approached our seats and found out two of us were to sit together while the third had to sit on the adjacent row besides what seemed like a pretty face behind 'Life of Pi'.     We all started hurrying up to get that prized seat. Aditya was in the front and I was right behind him. I somehow managed to find a way towards the seat. I kept my hand on the seat and was about to sit when Aditya pushed me and sat himself.      I shouted, "Hey!", loud enough for the whole bus to listen. 'Life of Pi' went down and what emerged was actually a guy with long hair. Aditya's jaw fell while me and Daksh started laughing uncontrollably; everyone else gave us a disgusting look, quite understandably.    T

Adventures of Lonavla - Part I

                                                                 PART I     This story dates to the month of June of 2012 while I was travelling to Lonavla with a couple of my friends. Interesting events, interesting company, interesting food made the whole journey a lot more interesting.     Me, Daksh and Aditya planned this trip some time back and we choose to set out for Lonavla on the 18th, a Monday. Usually people travel on weekends but we had a completely different theory; Everyone visits hill stations during weekends making everything from food and hotels and roaming around a bit more costlier than usual. Setting out with this philosophy the three of us with a few thousand rupees left out for this journey. None of us had a vehicle so we had to use the public transport to get there.     Daksh was a guy particular with cleanliness and addicted to giving his boring lectures to people who did not follow his 'Principles of Cleanliness' as he would call it. Given hi